Empty property? Here are 4 ways to protect it

Is your property going to be unoccupied for a long period of time? You may be travelling or getting medical treatment. Perhaps your home is between tenants or you’re doing some renovation.

Whatever the reason, it’s important to make sure that your empty house is still secure and protected.

Insurance Advice to Protect your Empty House

Here are four possible ways to look after your property when you’re not there to do it.

1. Check your insurance policy

If you’ve got insurance, don’t forget to check whether your property is covered in your prolonged absence. The answer is in the small print. Depending on your policy, there may be specific conditions that you need to follow if the house is set to be empty for a long time.

Usually, these requirements concern maintaining a good level of security and taking care of the grounds. But if you’re not sure what to do to keep your cover active, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll be happy to talk you through your situation.

2. Maintain your property

Even if you’re not going to be there, it’s a good idea to make it look like someone is. Overgrown lawns and overflowing postboxes might tell a burglar that a house is empty. You can also hire a garden firm to maintain your lawns on a short-term basis, and arrange for your mail to be redirected.

3. Keep it secure

Good security is a great way to protect your property if you’re leaving it empty. If you don’t want to go for a full alarm system, consider the basics of locks on windows and making sure main entrances are well secured. If your property has been tenanted in the past, it could also be a good idea to get your locks changed before leaving it empty for a long time.

4. Keep a lookout

If you’ve got a friendly neighbour, why not ask them to keep an eye on your home? Likewise, if you’ve got a local neighbourhood watch scheme in the area, it’s worth letting them know you’re going to be away. Neighbours are often great at spotting something unusual happening so are definitely worth recruiting to help.

Need protection?

If you need help with the insurance on your property, get in touch today. As specialised insurance advisers we can review your policy and help you to understand whether you’ve got the cover you need. Or we can set up cover that’s flexible to your needs as a property owner.

Related articles